Split Pea Soup
This hearty soup, made with a Knorr Stock Cube, is ideal as a meal in its own right. Split peas, bacon and veg add depth to it, and it’s delicious served with a crusty roll.
- Recipe serves:8
- Preparation Time15 min
- Cooking Time90 min
- 500g green or yellow split peas
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large leek, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, halved
- 2 medium bay leaves
- Dried herbs to taste: thyme, rosemary, marjoram
- 1.5l stock made from Knorr Ham Stock Cubes
- 100g smoked bacon, cubed
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Croutons (optional)
- Wash and drain the peas. In a large saucepan gently fry the bacon for 5 minutes; add onion, carrots, leeks, garlic, herbs and bay leaves. Soften the vegetables over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5–7 minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Add stock, peas and simmer over low heat for about 1¾ hours or until the peas break down. Season with pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley. Serve with croutons or crusty bread.