Chilli Con Carne
This is very simple to make. First fry the mince for a good 15 minutes. Then mix in spices, my home-made tomato sauce, water and – my secret ingredient – two Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pots. Simmer gently for an hour. Mix in kidney beans, gently heat through and there you have my Chilli Con Carne.
- Recipe serves:10
- Preparation Time20 min
- Cooking Time90 min
- 2tbsps olive oil
- 1kg lean, finely minced beef
- A pinch of paprika
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- A pinch of ground cumin
- 1l Marco’s foolproof tomato sauce
- 500ml water
- 2 Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pots
- 2 x 400g tins of kidney beans in water, drained and rinsed
- 1 handful of roughly chopped fresh coriander
- 2–3 mild red chillies, chopped
- 25g dark chocolate (70% cocoa content), chopped
- Fresh coriander sprigs
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add in the olive oil and heat through.
- Add in the minced beef and fry, stirring to break down any lumps – there’s nothing worse than finding big lumps of mince – until well browned, around 15 minutes. Season the browned mince with paprika, cayenne and cumin, mixing in and frying for 2–3 minutes.
- Transfer the browned mince from the frying pan to a casserole dish over a medium heat. Add in the tomato sauce and water and stir to mix together.
- Add in the Knorr Rich Beef Stock Pots and simmer, stirring, until dissolved.
- Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour, stirring now and then. Add in the drained, rinsed kidney beans, mix in and cook for 5 minutes to heat.
- Stir in the chopped red chilli, coriander and dark chocolate. Garnish with fresh coriander sprigs and serve. It’s fantastic with baked potatoes and soured cream, or with rice.